Saturday, May 5, 2012

Two things to share

"Three Peas In My Little Pod: Book Review - I of the Storm: Hi lovely readers - today is a super important day - Max's 2nd birthday party - PIRATE PARTY alert!!! So I'll be busy busy busy all day ..."

Hey everyone! I've had blogger's block these days, hence the lack of posting. Did you know that emotional overload and avalanches have much in common? Anyway, this morning, I woke up to a lovely message from this blogger who was reviewing my book. She wrote me a raving review and gave it 5 stars. What a great way to end a gloomy, crappy work week! So, I just wanted to share that with you and give you a peek at her blog. It's pretty cute.

I normally talk about my stressful episodes with Autism vs. Neesha, but today I want to also share with you an amazing accomplishment that happened yesterday with Nabeel. His annual physical was due in February, and since he's been having violent, random outbursts the past 7 months, I was terrified to take him, thinking he would have a meltdown at the clinic. I talked to him about it the night before and promised a McDonald's breakfast reward if he didn't scream and kindly let the doctor and nurses check him over. His dad made time to come along, and that made his day. The visit was all smiles and giggles as she examined him. He answered nicely, no growling, and he didn't fuss about having to take off his shoes or change into a gown. When it was time to put his clothes back on, he didn't want to, haha. I guess he liked the patient "costume."

Then came the part where my heart fluttered - the lab! He needed a whole slew of blood tests. Along with the routine labs, I convinced the doc to add in Vit. D and C, magnesium, folic acid and a test for intolerance to gluten and casein. I had given him the lowdown the evening before to prepare him for what was to come. I guess it worked, because he didn't scream or fight. The needle was in, and he sat there kind of groaning, but that was it! Seven vials of blood later, he was free and I was relieved! He loved getting his arm wrapped up with a bandage and walked out like a hero. For an autistic kid who has been throwing violent tantrums since Oct. 2011, that is pretty frickin' amazing. Yay, Nabeel!

He got his food reward, then I dropped him off at school and headed out to face the rest of my day with a smile! Now, THAT is what I call the bright side things.

I'm praying for a pleasant weekend to match. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment