Thursday, June 7, 2012

Book Review: Fairy Metal Thunder

I read about "Fairy Metal Thunder" by J.L. Bryan on other book blogs, and I have the author on Twitter. He's pretty cool.

Here's the synopsis from the Amazon page:

A rock & roll fairy tale.

Jason plays guitar in a teenage garage band called the Assorted Zebras, but they have no fans, no gigs, and they're going nowhere. Even worse, Jason has a crush on their lead singer, but she doesn't seem interested in him at all.

Then Jason steals instruments from the fairy world. Soon the band is enchanting crowds, and Jason is a step closer to the girl of his dreams, but the new gear is brimming with dangerous and destructive magic they can't control.

Their shortcut to success has cost a troupe of innocent fairies their livelihood and turned Jason and his band into enemies of the powerful Queen Mab, who sends hunters to track them down, including one of the most dangerous creatures in Faerie...a small unicorn named Buttercake.


So I decided to give this title a read. I'm a big supporter of my fellow indie authors, so I try to read at least 2 per month.

So here's my likes and dislikes list, followed by commentary!

Likes
  • It was an easy read with no million-dollar words or overuse of adjectives and descriptions.
  • The tale was whimsical and playful, and he very creatively and smoothly mixed the world of fairies, goblins, dragons, unicorns, among other things, with the modern human world.
  • Good writing, which made it easy to picture the scenes in my mind.
  • There were no boring parts! Score!
  • The story held my interest and kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next, especially when the magical instruments were put to use and the band got the hang of them. My favorite part was when the magical music almost destroyed Mitch's house after their homemade concert. I felt like I was there.
  •  The length of the book was comfortable and easy to get through. I read it in one day.
  • I'm a fan of series, so that earned this book some credit right there.
  • It was the perfect story for a YA audience.
  • It contained a good balance of action/adventure, humor, comedy and teen romance.
Dislikes, but barely so
  • The characters' dialogue didn't seem age-appropriate, therefore struck me as a tiny bit unrealistic at times. The band members and Jason's little sister sounded younger than they were supposed to be, I think, not that this doesn't ring true in real life sometimes! That may have been what the author was going for, so, if that's the case, color it a win. Jason's little sister was obnoxious, and I wanted to smack her every few minutes, but, again, this may have been the author's intention. In real life, I used to want to smack my little sister, too, (and I did sometimes). The dialogue of his parents didn't hit me with the 'real' vibe either, but I still got the point of every scene, and they were just as hard on him as I've known some real-life parents to be. So, in essence, it worked. 
  • Noticed a few typos and teeny inconsistencies, but I'm oversensitive about that stuff since I'm an editor. But it wasn't enough to trigger my OCD. I still  greatly enjoyed the book! 
All-in-all, this was a very fun read. I loved it, and it helps that I'm a fan of fantasy and mystical creatures (that aren't SCARY). Despite the couple minor things that bugged me, I found that Bryan put a lot of thought into this story, and it was well organized and spelled out. You know a story is really good when it leaves you with two feelings: #1 - wanting more, and #2 - thinking about the story and characters long after you've shut the book. I really enjoyed Bryan's writing style, and this compels me to read more of his work. I look forward to reading the rest in the series. I give this 4 stars! Go read it! Now!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment