Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Book review: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, book 3)

Synopsis from Amazon: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

Wasn't too pleased with this one. Book 2 is still my fav of
the three. By the middle of the book, I felt like I was forcing myself to read just to finish it, and I was very ready for Katniss to make up her mind about who she loves and for all the shenanigans to be over! President Coin was definitely shaping up to be another Snow, so I'm glad Katniss saw that. It was disturbing in a good way that Snow got Peeta because it's pretty much the only thing that kept me pushing forward. I got fed up of Katniss and her tough girl persona, yet always clueless about her own romantic feelings. Beetee was a very strong character in this book and played a huge part in the revolution, more so than Katniss, technically.

Spoiler alert ahead - proceed with caution!

It was somewhat of a surprise how her and Gale discovered how NOT compatible they were. From the first fight, I had already figured out that Peeta would be saved somehow, and him and Katniss would live happily ever after and make babies who would never have to endure the Hunger Games thanks to their parents.

It broke my heart when Finnick got devoured by mutts just like that! After all that comraderie in book 2 and all the build up of him in the aftermath of going through the games twice, then the whole rescue of his beloved Annie, Peeta and the rest from the Capitol ... Poof! He was gone. And Prim? Prim dying put a huge damper on it for me, but I guess the dramatic effect it had was the whole point. I'm curious at what point Collins decided to knock her off. Then, I held on to the hope that Katniss, having bargained with Coin to be given the chance to kill Snow after his capture, killed Coin instead, and Snow got to die a natural death, actually laughing himself into the grave. I didn't think he deserved the satisfaction of seeing his presidential enemfoe get killed by the mockingjay he spent so long threatening and mocking! I think she should have killed him first then made a sharp turn and killed Coin after. To me, that would have made for a way better ending.

Well, I finished the trilogy, and now I can get on with my life. Many folks are asking me if I am going to jump on the 50 Shades of Grey train, and I'm leaning towards NO WAY! (That's the safe thing to say in lieu of "never," because you know what they said happens when you say "never.")

Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment