Saturday, June 2, 2012

My romance novel come true

If you notice I've been kind of scarce lately, there's three very good justifications! One: my first born graduated from high school yesterday! Yay for teen pregnancy in 1994, woot! (That was a no-regrets cheer.) I'm so proud of him. Two: my second born had his last day of junior high today! Nowt he's off to high school next year. This is major anxiety for mom. I'll be getting oriented with a brand new school and their special needs program as much as him. Let's hope they are as superb as all his past teams have been. And, THIRD: I get to have my husband back for good tomorrow.

If you're wondering what I mean by that, here's the nutshell. We're both from Trinidad, a dreamy Caribbean island, the last one in the chain, 7 miles off the coast of Venezuela, home of the steel drums, Calypso music and the world-famous Carnival. Well, he lives there, and I live here in Houston, Texas. We met almost a couple years ago, fell in love and had to make a crucial decision about our lives. Are we strong enough to last through the grueling long-distance relationship thing? We decided to give it a try. Seven months in, we got married, but he had to go back to work, work, work as well as wait, wait, wait for papers to process.

Now, a total of 11 months later, he will be back here in beautiful Houston, Texas, for good. I am still in a bit of shock that a man would transform his whole life for me, leave his country, family and friends, and cross the ocean for ... me? That's what I call L-O-V-E. So many people have been tracking this love story and waiting eagerly for this very day. And it's finally here. I've cleared closet space, dresser drawers, rearranged my whole life to make room for the ONE who WON.

So, please forgive me if I don't answer your friend requests or emails at the speed I normally do. There are mental tornadoes tearing through my psyche right now. Lots of worries, excitement, shock ... Life will change forever today ("today" because it's after midnight right now). I've been struggling my entire adult life being a single mom, drowning in debt and financial woes, working low-paying jobs to get us all that we needed, helping my youngest deal with autism. I lived on my parents living room floor (because they didn't have an extra room) with two kids for seven years following a divorce in 2002 just to put myself through school. We lived slumber party style for seven whole years on air mattresses. But we were with our family, so it was kind of cool. No privacy and a bit sardine can, but we were a happy family. I drove a 2000 Dodge Neon for 11 years, at times with no a/c. I wore the same clothes for years, which to most females is a fashion don't.

Now, here I am. A degreed professional, writer/editor, journalist, self-published author, things I never thought I could achieve. The kids are teens. I have a beautiful home and drive a sexy Caribbean blue Jeep Compass. (I named it The Sexy Bitch.) I met a man I thought only existed in romance novels, and he put a ring on it. After 18 years in adulthood, struggling my royal behind off. And after what seems like a dozen broken hearts later, with duct tape all over my heart ... I finally got my happily ever after.

Moral of this story - You never know what life has in store for you. Embrace things as they come, and hold on tight when things get rocky.

What I have now was worth the 18-year wait. I am the last person to get mushy or sentimental, but I really want to share my newfound cheer with the world. It's so common for people to whine and complain and hurriedly share every negative thing that happens in a venting session. I am doing the opposite.

Stay tuned for an update and maybe some reunion photos of me and my Anthony.

And LOTS more book reviews ... and whatever else I can think of to entertain you.

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment