Sunday, September 30, 2012

Goodbye, space writing

So much for my pretty, artsy sign! Nabeel decided to
do some home decor around 1 a.m. on a Friday night.
Hello, lovely reader. It's been a while. You can attribute my MIA'ness to such things as lack of sleep as a result of looking after my insomniac tantrums resulting in gashes in my walls, overeating, crying, random fits of laughter and job dilemmas. On Aug. 31, I was laid off (for the second time) from my job as a Public Relations Office writer/editor for the Johnson Space Center. In 2010, I was laid off and brought back after three months. That's what happens when you do a good job and your boss likes you, so remember that. Never burn bridges. Alas, the budget monster got me again. Nov. 14 would have made four years in that role. I can't be too sad, though.

Once again, I was laid off and brought back. Only, this time, I've been adopted in a totally different department. I won't be writing space stories for NASA publications and Web anymore but still getting to exercise my communication skills. I will be the new kid on the block, chillin' with the IT folks. As much as I'll miss being a reporter for all things NASA, I am looking forward to helping the techie peeps expand and improve their communications. I sense some pretty hectic but enjoyable projects in my future. Not sure exactly what I'll be doing, but it's still communication and outreach, so I'm still in my happy place, just with a clean slate. The job has been promised to me for only six months, so it's possible I'll be laid off AGAIN but just as likely it could turn permanent. As always, time will tell.

The best thing about the whole situation is that I've met some super cool people along the way who have proven worthy of keeping. Others ... meh. But that's how the world works. Not every flower blooms, and not every plan works out. A new team means new relationships to build and new opportunities to grow as a professional.

As of this moment, I'm mentally preparing myself for my new gig tomorrow. I'm cooking lunch, writing this blog post and creating a whole other blog that will be dedicated to my experience with the special needs world. I'm working on two book projects AND trying to finish reading a book by an indie author so I can write a review. That ought to be enough to keep my mind from roaming!

Happy Sunday, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment