Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Doesn't hurt to ask

I've been thinking of ways to get more connected to MY world ... the book world. The joyful place all avid readers, writers and word lovers meet. I remembered the haven of my childhood - the library! Duh! Why didn't I think of it before? It's super close to my job and home, and today's library has tons more cool stuff than back in the day. So I went to the "Contact Us" tab on their website and sent them an email inquiring about self-published author groups. I was even willing to start one if there wasn't one. And guess what! They are starting one TOMORROW. How awesome is that for timing. I'm using my lunch hour to go check it out. They also do a Local Author's Hour where one author gets the spotlight to talk about his or her book for an hour.

I am in the middle of re-branding my biz (www.TheSweetTalker.com), so I don't have any business cards, but I fixed that problem by using several acquired skills. I'm a crafter and a lover of art paper, so, stashed away with all my art supplies was some greeting card paper from a project I had abandoned many moons ago. It's stiff enough for printing biz cards, yes! Then, I opened up Adobe Illustrator, my favorite of the graphics software. I'm no pro, but I'm good enough to design my own business cards. I searched through a ton of artsy nature photos I've taken over the years (before my fancy camera died), and found this one image I shot in my parents' back yard one day after a rain storm:


Not bad, eh? Well, I slapped my name, contact info and web addresses to my blog and business site on the sky part, and bam! The business card problemo was solved. I printed out about 20 of 'em for tomorrow. Thank goodness my sweet, thoughtful daddy bought me a printer last month. Another lucky piece of the puzzle.

See how many things came together for this one desperate project? Life is good.

I'm excited about the authors' group tomorrow, hoping to network and get more exposure for my book and writing/editing services. I want to edit books for other authors as much as I want to write my own. Can't tell you enough how much this stuff thrills me!

Stay tuned for a post on how the meeting goes tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment