Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Scandal promotes learning

I've never been all that great at coming up with creative headlines for my articles, but I have hit some good ones. My favorite was "General Betray Us," highlighting the Petraeus/Broadwell affair. Today, I was reading up on this scandal, and after about three articles from different big-name news sources, I realized I had learned three new words, steamy ones at that.

Journalists get totally career horny when there's a scandal and pull out all the million dollar words as each of them tries to garner the most hype over the bubbling brouhaha! One of these words, I'd heard vaguely before, but I've never used any of these officially. I swear I'm going to put them to use! I love learning new words. How could I not share with my fellow word-loving peeps? Hey, I'm just trying to take some good from this awful situation. One more sex scandal for the country, and Neesha learned some new words along the way. Woot!


 
Paramour
 
[par-uh-moor]  
noun
1. an illicit lover, especially of a married person.
2. any lover.
 
Salacious
 
[suh-ley-shuhs]  
adjective
1. lustful or lecherous.
2. (of writings, pictures, etc.) obscene; grossly indecent.
 
Licentious

 
[lahy-sen-shuhs] 
adjective
1. sexually unrestrained; lascivious; libertine; lewd.
2. unrestrained by law or general morality; lawless; immoral.
3. going beyond customary or proper bounds or limits; disregarding rules.

 
And this one was just Dictionary.com's glorious word of the day, which
seemed to fit in so well with my Petraeus Collection.
 
Disbosom
 
[dis-booz-uhm, -boo-zuhm] 
verb (used with object)
1. to reveal; confess.
 
 
Each day brings a new adventure, that is, if you pay close enough attention.

2 comments:

  1. Why must I always fall for the whole "say this, now spell that and say this" thing. Every. Single. Time. lol. At least I learned some new words.

    New Follower via GFC & Twitter (from bookblogs.ning)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for following. I couldn't resist sharing the new words, hehe. What's life without humor, right. :)

    ReplyDelete