Saturday, February 16, 2013

Life is the cure for writer's block

... in this girl's brain, anyway.

Last weekend, my oldest and I went to see a play called "Never Too Late" on Sunday evening at a community theatre. Act 1 was really enjoyable and comical. It was about a couple in their 50s who found out they're going to have a baby. It's a tiny theatre, so in lieu of an actual stage, there was a central area of the room with a set. It was made up like a 1960's living room, with a recliner and sofas to match the era. A center table an area rug finished off the living room design perfectly. I saw red tape on the floor to alert attendees of the area that was for stage vs. walking around. I like this because it's more cozy, and no matter where you sit around the set, even in the highest seats, you're still very close to the performers.

During intermission, we took a walk around, scoped out the concession stand, and went back to our seats. As I was gazing across the seating area on the opposite side, I saw an elderly man with a cane trying to get down the stairs. I felt uneasy, because I had seen this man stumble just before the show started as he tried to make his way up to his seat four rows up, and his wife held on to his arm. This time, she wasn't with him. He lost his footing at the very last step, stumbled, and fell sideways full force with his head slamming into the edge of the center table on the set! I happened in a matter of seconds right before my eyes. I got teary as I watched members of the theatre staff swarm him on the floor while another dialed 9-1-1. I was teary and energized, wanting to do something, but they had it under full control until the paramedics came. He kept reaching for his wife's hand and constantly cracking jokes with the staff. He insisted he was perfectly fine to stick around for Act 2 even though there was a gash on the side of his head. I also heard him say that he and his wife were to renew their vows the following week. They had to be in their 70s at least, and a very adorable couple they were. As he was taken away on a stretcher, the audience clapped for him and he raised his hands waving at us as he was rolled out of the building. I couldn't stop thinking about him and worrying about his condition. I love the elderly and cherish their existence in this crazy technological world of modern marvels that they have such a hard time comprehending. I love hearing my grandmother's perspectives on things like cell phones and iPads.

Here's my impression of writer's block ... 

Although I enjoyed the rest of the show (even with a pesky migraine's wrecking ball inside my head), I couldn't stop thinking about this old man even after I got home. I thought of it so much that I was imagining how the couple met, what they were like as youngsters, what happened the day before, what happened to him when he got to the hospital, on and on. With all the key players in this scenario from the theatre staff to the audience members, the couple, and the paramedics, imagine the endless possibilities for fiction here.

Almost a week later, a meteorite hits a populated area in Russia! Have you seen the video coverage of this?! If not, take a look at this freak of nature. The second I set my eyes on this thing, a marathon of sci-fi story ideas raced through my mind. How often does something like this happen? These things strike Earth all the time, just not in cities but in all the desolate and vast spacious corners of the Earth. And they disintegrate in the planet's fiery atmosphere, which makes them unnoticeable to us most of the time. The hap compelled me to go look up other such incidents, and I found stories about several craters around the globe, some that were dated to 50,000 years back. Talk about a wealth of possibilities for stories!

So you see, sometimes all a writer needs is a dose of reality to get shoved in the right direction. A jump start, if you will, to hours of happy and obsessive writing.

And, to all, a great day!




2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award, an award for blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Please check it out here:

    http://www.kristenelisephd.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-leibster-blog-award-bit-of-comic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kris! Thanks so much for that. I don't know much about it, but I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete