Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Book Review: Puppet Shows, Stories by Michael Frissore

*This book was given to me by the author for the sole purpose of a review.

Synopsis from AmazonA kindly organ grinder and his performing monkey adopt a young boy after his father spontaneously combusts; a barber living inside a whiskey bottle confronts the neighborhood nuisance who wields a dead squirrel like a pair of nunchucks; and an unruly gang of sock puppets are born in a basement dojo. Welcome to Puppet Shows, thirteen outlandish stories from a writer Tucson Weekly called "a very funny weirdo."

I must say, it took me a few pages to get with the flow of this quirky set of stories. I had fallen into book review burn-out in the last few months no thanks to life itself throwing me obstacles and lots of work stress, so this was a nice side step from my normal genres that normally lack a lot of humor. The stories did make me "lol," which was great. I kept wanting to know what silly thing would happen next. And as a writer myself, I appreciated the fact that Frissore poured his weird and boundless imagination onto the pages of this book seemingly without holding back. Even his character names were hilarious. 

I really enjoyed the constant references to old movies, songs, shows, characters and inside jokes. This is a great read for someone who just needs to relax and shed their "taking life too seriously" skin. The stories were well written and nicely compiled. Although I was in amazement at the off-the-wall scenes, especially with the monkey spouse and poorly raised kid, they still made sense. Do not approach this book with any amount of expectations or seriousness. You will be disappointed. BUT! If you go into it with NO expectations and an incredibly open mind, your sense of humor will do the rest (considering you have one). I don't do half points, but I decided to give this my 3.5 star rating. Buy it on Amazon. Read it. Laugh a lot, and be grateful there are writers out there who can create this type of material. 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment